Transport & Infrastructure
Level Crossing Removal Project, Victoria
A Probity case study
The Victorian Government has committed to removing 75 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne by 2025. This is the largest project of its kind in Victorian. Removing level crossings will:
- Significantly improve safety for road users and pedestrians.
- Improve travel around our city for public transport users, pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.
- Create thousands of jobs during construction.
- Help people get home safer and faster.
OCM were engaged first in an interim capacity during the establishment of the Project and then as the ongoing Probity Advisor for the Project. Our scope of work has included probity oversight of the Mernda Rail Extension D&C, Caulfield to Dandenong Alliance, a significant number of consultants’ procurements and the program alliances associated with the North Eastern, North Western, Western and Southern rail corridors.
Work activities included, among other things, the provision of:
- Probity risk advice and input to the development of market engagement strategies and transaction design, for example the design of the Program Alliance framework.
- Probity risk advice and input to the design of internal procedures during the establishment of the Authority, for example a whole of Authority Probity Conduct Plan for the procurement of consultant’s services.
- Preparation of reports related to the conduct of procurement processes to facilitate Board understanding of the probity framework applied.
- Preparation of reports and advice on emerging probity issues, for example changes in scope, conflicts of interest and management of interim arrangements.
- Observation and provision of real time probity advice during the conduct of interactive tender workshops.
- Advice and input to the development of Probity Deeds and protocols to govern the involvement and communication with other government departments, agencies, and key stakeholders, for example PTV, Utilities and Train Franchisee.
- Advice and input to the development of the probity control framework for the establishment of the Community Tender Advisory Panel (CTAP) for the Caulfield to Dandenong Alliance.
- Observation and provision of real time probity advice during the conduct of Evaluation Panel and Executive Review meetings.
- Observation and provision of real time probity advice during the conduct of tenderer debriefing sessions.
As probity advisor, OCM was called on to provide immediate probity support across the project, advising and working with personnel from all levels within the Project, departmental representatives, consultants and advisors and tenderer representatives.
For other probity case studies refer to Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) Airport, New South Wales; The Single Digital Patient Record; NSW Police Future Light Helicopter Replacement; New School 2 Project – Ashtonfield Public School Upgrade; Parramatta Square Redevelopment; Project Energy Connect (PEC).