Transport & Infrastructure
Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) Airport, New South Wales
A Probity case study
OCM is the primary probity advisor to the Western Sydney Airport Corporation who are responsible for building the Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) Airport, a $5.3 billion project. Western Sydney International Airport is due to open in 2026. The Western Sydney international Airport Project is transformational and one of the most significant infrastructure projects in Australia. It will generate economic activity, provide employment opportunities for people in the Western Sydney region, and meet Sydney’s growing aviation needs.
In our role as the probity advisor, OCM provides probity advice and support on all multiple highly strategic and complex procurements, including pre-market engagements, competitive dialogue and interactive tendering with a rapid procurement timetable. As a recognised leader in probity, OCM is using its deep probity experience on big infrastructure projects to help Western Sydney Airport work through probity every day. OCM has acted or is currently acting as the probity advisor on all of the main works packages, including the procurement of:
- The Delivery Partner
- Early Earthworks
- Bulk Earthworks
- Experience Centre
- Terminal Design Competition
- Terminal Design and construction
- Landside and Pavements
- Airside Civil
- Baggage Handling Systems
We have taken a risk-based approach to probity on this engagement and provided assistance on the following topics:
- Information management for stakeholders to promote transparency whilst not compromising confidential information.
- Effective management of Project consultants/advisors related interests and associated levels of exclusivity.
- Helping to develop procurement strategies to ensure they are structured in a pragmatic way that is consistent with an overarching procurement governance framework and facilitates a fair and transparent evaluation process.
- Confidentiality and conflict of interest management.
- Value for money considerations in procurement.
An Australian National Audit Office Performance Report undertaken in December 2019 made the following observation in relation to the probity services provided: “probity was a strength of the seven open tenders conducted in 2018…This was not just due to a probity advisor being fully involved, but importantly was due to WSA Co giving them authority and being responsive to their advice.”
This engagement is currently ongoing.
For other rail probity case studies relating refer to Level Crossing Removal Project, Victoria, Cross River Rail Project, Queensland and ARTC Inland Rail Project, Queensland; Sydney Metro Project, New South Wales.
For other probity case studies refer to The Single Digital Patient Record; NSW Police Future Light Helicopter Replacement; New School 2 Project – Ashtonfield Public School Upgrade; Parramatta Square Redevelopment; Project Energy Connect (PEC).